Sunday, May 29, 2011

Number 7...Check!

Several weeks ago I posted my 30 Before 30 list...you can go check that out here. I've started a number of the things on the list, but this weekend I found my #7. My dad helps every month with our churches food bank, and this weekend they were short on volunteers because so many people were away for the Holiday weekend, so Friday night I agreed to wake up at 7:15 on a Saturday morning and go help. I went into it thinking, 4 hours then I get to go home and take a nap, but little did I know I would receive a blessing myself. I have been very blessed, and I am very fortunate that I grew up in a family that always took great care of me, I never have wanted for much, and  I have certainly have never went to bed hungry. When I got to the church at 7:40 there were cars lined up around the block, and we live in a fairly small town, I guess I just didn't understand the great need in our community. A number of the cars had 2 or 3 families in them, because they didn't even have vehicles to come get the food, so they had came with friends and neighbors. I'm not sure of every persons intentions that were there, I am sure some of them were there to take advantage of the kindness of our church, like the lady who was having her nails done on Friday when I was in the Salon, but was 4th in line at the food bank...pretty sure if you can spend $50 on nails, you can buy food....BUT it's not my place to judge. The thing that opened my eyes, broke my heart, and I think made the whole experience worthwhile for me was seeing the sweet little children get out of the cars with their parents, not knowing if this child got to wake up and have breakfast, or if they were depending on this food to keep them from going hungry. The joy on their face when when looked in their box and saw something as simple as a box of cereal, or a package of snack cakes changed my whole outlook. I have found my #7, my worthy cause, and I will be spending every 4th Saturday bright and early with my dad, hopefully making a difference in these peoples lives, and definitely opening my eyes and making me SO thankful for what I have.



Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."                   -John 6:35 NIV

I hope you all have a blessed Sunday!

No comments:

Nate & I

Nate & I



My Favorite Girls

My Favorite Girls


Confessions of a Recovering Shopaholic







Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Laura Deacetis
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.